Like us on Facebook

Friday 29 June 2012

Humor, the best policy


So, you imagine me to be a very serious personality with a grim face, writing about life’s struggles, lessons, woes, ageing, inspirational messages……..all that serious stuff? Let me clarify. The 2 women who made a great impact on my life are Susan Boyle and Rose (both in my earlier posts). The former said, “this is only one side of my personality.” The latter said, “you have to laugh and find humor every day." So, here’s the other side of me. The fun side. No its not a new addition. Reminiscing my college days, when the English professor would be passionately discussing the “Paradise” that Milton “Lost”, we a gang of 3 sitting in the last row, would’ve “Regained” that “Paradise” by stealthily sharing a joke from a joke book which used to be our Bible. This side always existed and continues to do so as our gang still exchanges jokes even though we are centered in different parts of the world. Jai Ho to my college friends, to whom I dedicate this post. Humorous poem, Humorous quotes, Funny story, joke—all this for you too to stay young.

First comes a poem which I chanced upon in the Net. It brought all smiles to my face as it was tailor made for my husband who is a committed Bridge player. Come rain or sunshine, he’s not the one to miss his Bridge game every week. Or else his partner would miss him, his Bridge partner, I mean!

A Lovely Hand               by Anonymous
Last night I held a lovely hand,
It was so small and neat, 
I thought my heart with joy would burst
So wild was every beat.

No other hand unto my heart
Could greater pleasure bring 
Than the one so dear I held last night.
Four Aces and a King

Here are some wild quotes:
The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat. Lily Tomlin
"There are two different kinds of people in this world: those who finish what they start, and"
---Brad Ramsey
"The reason grandchildren and grandparents get along so well is because they have a common enemy."
---Unknown
"You've reached middle age when all you exercise is caution." ---Unknown
“The best time to give advice to your children is while they're still young enough to believe you know what you're talking about." ---Unknown
Graduation Speech: I’d like to thank the internet, Google, Wikipedia, Microsoft Word, and Copy & Paste.
The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government. Thomas Paine
If it weren’t for electricity we’d all be watching television by candlelight. George Globol
I have been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened. Mark Twain
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

And a miserly story:
There was a miser who had worked all his life and had saved lots of money. He loved money more than anything. Just before dying, he told his wife, “I want to take all this money with me to the other side. So I want you to put all my money in my casket while burying.” He made her promise him with all her heart that she would do so.
And one day he died. He was laid in the casket; his wife sat next to it with a close friend. The ceremony ended. Just before the undertakers were closing the casket, the wife came with a big box and placed it in the casket. The undertakers closed the casket and rolled it away.
Her friend said, “I hope you were not foolish enough to put all his money in that box?”
The wife replied, “See, I’m a good Christian. I can’t lie. I promised him that I would put all his money in the casket with him.”
And the friend asked unbelievingly, “So you really did?”
“I sure did”, said the wife. “I got all his money. Put it in my bank and I wrote a him a cheque.”

And finally a saintly joke:
A saint who regularly lectures on spirituality goes to a vendor selling buns and says, “I want a bun.”
The vendor says, “4 Rupees”.
The saint gives him a 5 Re coin and waits for the vendor to give him the change but the vendor seems to ignore him.
Finally, the saint asks him,”Where is my change?”
The vendor replies, “Change only comes from within.”

Oh no. I’ve ended with an Inspirational message. Some people cannot be changed. (Pun intended) :)

2 comments:

  1. This ones definetely sharply different from your other posts! Keep it up - good variety :-)

    ReplyDelete