Like us on Facebook

Tuesday 5 June 2012

World Environment Day


“World Environment Day (WED) is celebrated every year on 5th June to raise global awareness of the need to take positive environmental action.” Says Wikipedia.

Today, on this environment day, I have this riddle for you:
A potato's key tool, I have all the power.
I am generally used on the half or full hour.
If my cells were deceased or lost or the such,
My partner would only respond to your touch.

Who am I?

Answer A television remote control. 
Often used by a "couch potato". Channels are most often changed between programs, which end on the hour or half-hour.If you lose the batteries, the only way to control the TV is by hand.

Here comes the next question. 

Who invented the remote control? (There is a reason for my asking this question).


Frankly, until I read this news, I never knew that he was the one who invented this magic gadget called "remote control". That set me thinking. Day in and day out I keep using this gadget. But it never stuck me to find its inventor nor appreciate him. How lazy I am? When I thought more about it, i realized that more than laziness, it was indifference on my part which made me act so.

More deeper thinking and I realized that this remote control is only a tip of the iceberg. Do I know who invented Mixie? Do I know who invented the blender? Do I know who invented the electric oven? Who invented Microwave oven?  I don’t! (for all questions). I’m using all these gadgets left, right and centre, 247! Shame on me! As my mind pressed the panic button, quickly my hands pressed the “Google” button. Even if you know, please check your answers with these: 
"in 1908, Herbert Johnson invented the mixer"
"The first electric blender was developed and in 1932, its inventor Stephen J. Poplawski received patents for it."
"The electric oven was invented by Thomas Ahearn,1892 who was a Canadian inventor."
"Dr Percy Spencer invented the first Microwave oven after World war II from Radar technology"

It was a shame that I ignored to find out the inventors all these days, let alone appreciate them. 

Now a little voice in me peeped out. “You are talking about manmade inventions. Have you ever appreciated the feeling of the fresh air on your skin, the sweet smells of the tiny flowers, the whispering sounds of rustling leaves, the tall mountains that stand majestically, the water that quenches your thirst, the (etc, etc) ………......which is around you 24*7?" 

Of course, I am sensible enough NOT to google to find its creator.

I realized how i've ignored to appreciate Nature and its Creator. Trees, plants, flowers, ocean, mountains...... It got me to thinking that, to be true citizens of the planet, shouldn't we be paying more attention to these and offer our gratitude to the Creator? Don't we take too much for granted? 

Consciously or unconsciously, we always link our physical / mental state with Nature. When we are happy we say “I feel sunny,” when we follow our dreams, we say “I’m shooting for the star,” to reach our goals, we say “I climb mountains”. Nature bestows us with peace and harmony. When we are at peace, we attract more peace. Isn’t that what laws of attraction say? When we take the time to protect our Environment and feel gratitude for it, we attract more of that value into our lives and more means to preserve and protect Nature in a harmonious way. Our appreciation, our gratitude and action in harmony with Nature can protect this planet and improve our lives on it.


These are the gifts that the Creator has given us with lots of love. Shouldn’t we offer him a return gift in gratitude? What is it that we can offer him? Protecting this planet from pollution of all kinds, keeping our minds from pollutions of all kinds by living in peace and harmony and spreading it. If we do it constantly every day, we don’t need to earmark 22nd April as earth day, 5th June as Environment day, etc. Do you agree? 


No comments:

Post a Comment