Like us on Facebook

Thursday 13 March 2014

Comparison is the thief of joy

A hummingbird was flying from flower to flower around the park. He was very content, minding his own business in his flight around the park, when a crow stopped him.

“Hey hummingbird. You are always so busy moving from one flower into another. You don’t even know what is going on in the park. Look, there is more than flowers.
Look at that white dove. Isn’t she beautiful? Most birds would kill to be like her…
Look at that Red Cardinal over there, that bird is 3 times your size and when he sings… oh boy! Everyone looks at him…
There you have “Champ” the dog. Never get close to him if you care for your life. He almost got me the other day when I was trying to get a piece of food from her owner.
As you can see there is more of life than jumping from flower to flower…”

The hummingbird looked at the crow and flew away. A few minutes later, he started to think about the words of the crow.

“Why I am not as beautiful as the dove? Why I am not as big as the Red Cardinal? I am not even able to sing … I must be a nobody in this park… I am so small that no one notices me except that dark crow. I think the crow is right. I am missing life. I need to be like those birds who everyone admires… Perhaps I should become fearless around 'Champ.' I bet if I do that, everyone will respect me in the park.”

The hummingbird was enjoying an empty mind so long, but took a belief from someone and made that belief his own twisted reality. He started comparing himself to others and became unhappy for he wasn’t as good as he thought. He developed an “inferiority complex.”

When he was near the white dove he became very shy and submissive. When he was near the Cardinal, he acted as if he didn’t hear his singing because he didn’t want to appreciate the melodious chirping of the Cardinal. He became bothersome towards “Champ” and would try to hit him in his head while other birds were around. In his mind, that activity was going to get him a “name” among his peers.

In the other birds’ minds; that was a very stupid action from the hummingbird. Something that may cost him his own life.

A wise tree, observed all of that and when the hummingbird sat down in one of his branches.

The tree said to him: “Hello, can’t you look at who you are?”

The hummingbird responded: “ I am a small and ugly bird who is not afraid of dogs.”

The wise tree said: “Is that who you are or what you believe to be? You are you, nobody else could be you even if they tried to be. Understand that you are unique and beautiful. Look at yourself in the mirror of relationships, then you will know."

All this while the hummingbird didn’t know that all birds were amazed to see him flying. There was no bird around who could accomplish his acrobatic movements in the air. He realized it was the jealous crow who snatched his joy away.

Comparing yourself with others is the game of ‘lack’.
Being grateful for what you have is a game of ‘abundance.’
Which sounds more fun?



No comments:

Post a Comment